WRITERS' WINDOW

WRITERS' WINDOW

Monday 14 October 2013

To Piece the Poems Together | Meg Hardie-Boyes

Writing a poem is not as easy as you think. I know because I write one every day. It's how I keep my life together.

Being alone
Is like being wrapped up as a present
Wrapped up in your own world
Never to be opened
When all you can see is thunderstorms,
the sense that no-one else is there
seeps into your body
and finds a way to let you down
The wrapping paper is gathering dust
When the sun in your heart is
Shining
You sit down
Grab a book
And wait for someone to come
And they always do
The wrapping paper is being torn
Open
And uncovering the present inside
You.

I slam my poem book down on the bed, hard. That was one of my best poems but of course it’s not about me. When I am alone, nobody comes. I am by myself for ages.

My name is Millie River. I live with my three brothers and three sisters all squashed in the one house. My bedroom is a cupboard. I have a little bed in the right corner. Writing poems is how I keep my life together, sitting down on my bed. A bit like waiting to die!

No comments:

Post a Comment