WRITERS' WINDOW

WRITERS' WINDOW

Sunday 10 November 2013

Stingrays | Henri Lyons, Year 5

The sand crunches under my feet as I drag the kayak down the beach. My sister Francesca and our friend Harper are already splashing about in their kayaks. I’m in! I wade out and give my kayak a big shove. I paddle past Francesca, past harper and to the next bay. I know that bay well! Whenever I go there, there are lots of stingrays! Last time I saw fifteen.

I’ve already spotted a stingray. I pull out my spear gun and fire. It’s right on target!

The stingray zooms off dragging me by the gun. I let go of the bright orange paddle and squeeze the gun as tightly as I can. The stingray tows me around a couple of bays. I eventually let go when it brings me back to my bay. Everyone was staring at me blank eyed.

I pick up my paddle and head for shore. I jump onto the jetty and shout out for a towel. My arms are as sore as when you have just had a rugby game.

I walk up the rock hard steps and into the house. It’s so warm and it smells like fresh baking. I sit down and eat some scones. So nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment